Monday, January 23, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


This great meme is hosted by Sheila at
Book Journey”.
It’s a great way to start the week and
find out what other bloggers are reading.
 
 
 
The Help
 
 
It's Monday and I am almost finished with reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  In fact, I have about 10 more pages to read and I'll be finished. 
 
I wasn't sure I was going to like the book at first.  After all, it deals with race relations in the south, and we all know what a hot topic that was/is, but more importantly, I tend to find that books "everyone" raves about, tend to be the ones I do not like.  Thankfully that's not the case with this one. 
 
The beginning is slow, so make yourself a pitcher of sweet tea and plop yourself down in front of the fan (or heater if you're in the north) so you can get yourself wrapped into the town of Jackson Mississippi, and the people who live there.
 
Have you read it yet?  What did you think?  Let me know!
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I received a signed copy of "The Help" at BEA. At the time, I didn't know what it was about. Once I found out the plot, and heard all the raves about it, I doubted that I would like it. More often that not, the books that make a lot of waves, are books that I don't like (hello, Eat, Pray, Love!)

Anyhoo... this is a long-winded comment to say that I am *now* inspired to at least give it a chance. Thank you!!!

Mama Bear said...

Thanks for stopping by! I will tell you, that if you're expecting a book with a lot of plot twists and a huge climax and ending, well, you'll be disappointed.

However, it IS a good book.

You just have to take it for what it is--a story about the way of life in the south and those few who wanted to change it. Go ahead and read it and let me know what you think! :)

Joy Weese Moll said...

I liked it and we had a terrific discussion from it in our diversity book club. Our book club is discussing Sister Citizen this month, a book that has some issues with The Help. It will be an interesting discussion for that book, too, I think.

Mama Bear said...

Ooh..I've seen Sister Citizen but don't really know much about it. It sounds like it would be interesting. Thank you for stopping by and sharing!