Monday, August 20, 2007

I SURVIVED (the first day of school)...

barely. Our air conditioning was out--in Florida. On the second floor. With hundreds of bodies piled in the library. Did I mention in Florida? Oh--they we had all of the wonderful parents....they are just so polite and helpful, and NEVER complain when they have to wait or come back with the correct paperwork the next day because they chose to register their child on the first day of school even though the school is open all summer for registration...NOT!

I'm glad that I was able to stand along the sidelines and help where needed rather than stand on the front-line because I probably would have been fired for slapping someone because they were rude (let's just say I learned some new profane words today) to me or someone else.--No wonder students today are so disrespectful--it's because their parents are no better.

HINT FOR ALL PARENTS: NEVER speak ill about any other adult around your child--even if you dislike that person! YOUR child learns HIS/HER behaviors, actions, and attitudes from YOU! Be the ADULT in the situation and show them that you CAN use your brains and YOUR manners because THEY will take you farther than rudeness and obnoxiousness will! (Otherwise, I may come off of the sidelines and smack you over the head with my newspaper like I used to do with my students! They learned!)

Yep--I worked with the kids today, which was perfectly fine with me. Many of them were happy to see me, some not so happy (see newspaper remark), but ALL were polite and respectful (except for DC, but she and I worked it out)--despite having to run to different rooms across campus in the sweltering Florida heat and humidity, until we figured out whose homeroom they were in!

Yep--that's why I'm there--the "children." Even though they drive me bananas most days, most of the time they make me laugh at their complete craziness. It makes me feel young (sometimes) to be able to "hang with my peeps" who so badly need someone to listen and understand them. Despite the fact they think they're old enough to make decisions for themselves, they still want approval--even if they don't admit it.

Yep--my goal is to be a shining light for them. Although they are respectful when I bring up God, I can tell that some shut-down inside but are ever watchful of me. It's tough having to be firm with them, while letting them know I'm on their side and that they can trust me. There are many "secrets" I've been told, and some confidences I've had to break to bring help to those kids, but I still try to remember that I have their best interests at heart and if that's the way God wants me to show His love, then I'm there.

Yep--I think this will be a great year. Despite the lack of air, the rude and obnoxious parents, inconsistent administration--several of whom need to leave or retire, crazy teachers, and even crazier students. I just feel it in my heart that BIG things are going to happen this year, and I can't wait to see what God has in store for us!

Four A.M. comes around pretty early, so I'd better sign off now to get things ready for tomorrow. I'm praying that it's better than today!

4 comments:

mad4books said...

Abilene...prettiest town I ever seen.

Air conditioning. Polite people who say "Yes, ma'am" and "No, ma'am." Men who stop and change your flat tire.

All good. :-)

No beach, though, dadgummit!

Have a great year!!

The Dynamic Uno said...

I must admit, I do miss the kids in Abilene. They were polite and respectful-for the most part, and if you even threatened to call home...oh boy!

But as you said...no beach, no shuttle launches that you can watch from outside just by looking up, or even places that sell falafel, hummus, or even know what they are!

Oh well--I hope you have a great year too! BTW-Stephenie Meyer is going to be at FAME this year. If I go, do you want a signed copy of something?

Literary Feline said...

Sounds like the typical first day of school my mom always describes when I call to check up on her. LOL

One of my coworkers found out Friday night that the school her children are supposed to attend is closing. She found out quite by accident. The school sent out a letter to the parents this week to say that this coming Friday is the last day. Not a lot of notice! The school (it's a private school) is still collecting tuition checks! My coworker quickly stopped payment on her check. She's left having to find a school for her child at the last minute, when many of the private schools have already started up.

Another of my coworkers started her son in public school for the first time (he's in the 5th grade) and he was a nervous wreck on his first day. Poor kid.

I don't know why I'm rambling on about all this in your comment section, but there you go! LOL

I hope the rest of the week goes well for you!

The Dynamic Uno said...

Literary Feline- Wow! I'm glad to know that problems are universal--although I'm sorry to hear about the school closing. I can't believe they're still cashing checks! (Kind of scary!) I hope she finds another good school for her child.

Starting public school is scary at any age! (I work with the creatures!) I hope things get smoother for your co-worker's son.

Ramble anytime! I know I sure do! Thanks for the well wishes. I know things will get better--after all, there's only 180 more days left! LOL! ;)