Sunday, January 13, 2008

It's Official....

I'm old. Our school district is in the process of re-fingerprinting everyone whose fingerprints were done the "old-fashioned" way with ink, and they were set up at our school last week.

Friday afternoon, I receive a phone call from a school close by and they said that one of their teachers got lost, could I please ask the fingerprinting lady if she would wait for her to show up. So, I told them not to worry, I'd let her know.

Meanwhile, I'm helping teachers scan their exam make-ups since grades are due Monday, and in walks the teacher who ended up getting lost. So, I just happen to look-up to point her in the right direction, when I realize that this "teacher" was one of my former eighth grade students. Can you believe it?!

I understand that my high schoolers are working, and that's okay. I mean, they're the ones who bag my groceries and dish up my fries. But to actually know that one of my students has completed high school AND college and is now teaching has really thrown me for a loop.

ACK! Are those really gray hairs and wrinkles?

3 comments:

Literary Feline said...

Yikes! That does make you old! Just kidding. Occasionally I discover that a child I once worked with is now a parent and that always serves to remind me of my age. I used to be the youngster on the block and now I'm one of the "veterans". I'm still not that old, am I? Not really. But I guess I am.

mad4books said...

Okay, I have you BOTH beat...three Open Houses ago, I found out that I'm teaching the second generation of my career. One of my sixth grader's mothers announced to everyone in the library (did I mention that it was Open House Night and crowded?) that I was also HER English teacher in the late 1980s.

Since then, I've had at least two more students of students...ARGH! There are at least three students in my building who had a parent sitting in my English class every day somewhere around their 13th birthday...can't...wrap...my...mind around that!

Got my clock for 20 years of service last May,
Kristy

The Dynamic Uno said...

Wow! Well it's good to know that I'm in good company. You get presents for your years of service?