Sunday, May 25, 2008

Quilting can be dangerous...

I'm learning how to quilt.

(If that doesn't bring trembling to your knees, I don't know what else will.) You see, I tried the whole sewing thing when we were forced to take Home Ec in the 8th grade. Sewing wasn't my thing then, and it isn't now either.

In any case, I am learning how to quilt because my coworker wanted to learn how and I told her that I would take the class with her. (In my defense, no one ever said I had to know how to sew to sign up for the class--although I did make the recommendation that they add that to their instructions.) Needless to say, it has been quite an adventure. The first two weeks were about picking out fabric and how to cut with the quilt cutter without taking off a finger. (Did you know they make scalpels from the SAME material they make the "pizza wheel" quilt cutters?! No wonder I had to sign a waiver saying that the store was not responsible for any harm that may come to me! Ack! It's a potential weapon!)

I'll keep you posted on how things turn out. I actually survived my first couple of weeks and made a "pillow" from my practice squares--although I need to buy some new batteries for my camera to show you the finished product. My material for my actual quilt is pink--yep it's gonna be given away--if I don't end up with bloodshed on it.

No comments: