Saturday, April 28, 2007

Oh, What a Week!

There has to be a full moon coming up because the kids were PSYCHO this week! Now that Spring is in the air and the stupid FCAT is over, the kids think they no longer have to do any work and are at liberty to do whatever they want. (And people have voted for the school year next year to be extended through June? Are they nuts? Obviously they've NEVER been in a classroom with 35 students trying to mutiny....but that's a rant for another time...)

Aside from the job aspect, this week hasn't been too bad for me personally--I WON a book from Katrina at Callapidder Days! I'm VERY excited to have won this book by Tamara Leigh because ironically, the main character sounds a bit like me. Here's the blurb that Katrina posted on her site about the book:

11. Perfecting Kate
By Tamara Leigh
Fiction
Ships: US

Kate's Creed: Thou shalt embrace singledom and be unbelievably, inconceivable happy.

Yeah, right.

Kate Meadows is a successful San Francisco artist looking for a nice, solid Christian man. So when not one, but two handsome bachelors enter her orbit in rapid succession, her head is spinning. Michael is a hunky makeup artist who actually seems to be flirting with her, rather than her physically flawless housemate. Trouble is, he keeps handing her business cards from various beauty professionals and plastic surgeons. Is he trying to stamp out every last bit of self-esteem she has?

Then there's Dr. Clive Alexander who sends Kate's pulse skittering every time he comes near. Too bad he's only interested in her work--and doesn't think she's much to look at. It's enough to send a girl running for her paint-splattered, relaxed-fit jeans and swearing off men altogether! But after undergoing a makeover from Michael's staff, Kate can't be oblivious to the admiring glances men throw her way. Maybe she should try contacts...consider some fancy dental work...and you know, that mole really could stand to go. The question now is, what kind of work will Kate do on herself? And who exactly is she trying to please?

OK--so maybe her creed sounds more like mine, because there are certainly no guys even speaking to me, unless you count my co-workers who are married, or my own family members. It sounds as if Kate is searching for something more out there for her own life--something I am still seeking for myself. (Yes, I am a Christian, so God is not whom I am seeking. I think I'm seeking out how to become more comfortable with myself, but that's a blog for another time.) In any case, I am excited to have won this book and can't wait to read it!







Pretense by Lori Wick
While this book is over 700 pages, it is definitely worth your while! Have a box of tissues ready because the storyline follows the Bishop family through their trials and tribulations throughout their lives. Will they ever find God-whom they're seeking desperately? Will the characters overcome the hardships they suffer, or will they be overwhelmed and completely turn away from God forever? Captivating from page one, you will be wrapped up in the lives of each Bishop family member and feel like they are each your best friend. What a great book!


We usually hold a Family Picnic twice a year--one in April and one in October. This month's picnic was last Saturday. It was a nice time to catch up on what everyone is doing and to learn about the celebrations of others.

My cousin Tanner is graduating high school in a few weeks and is going to Europe with his aunt as a graduation present.


Uncle Herb came over from Oregon to catch up with his siblings.

Ken (my step-dad/dad) turned 50!! (He also just left to visit my brother (step-brother) Adam over in England! I am SO jealous.)


My cousin Doug is trying to become a postal worker--they have several openings in our area and make the same amount starting that I do after 8 years of teaching! (Hmmm...maybe I should check into that field.)


Of course we had our normal volleyball games, zip-line for the kids, lots and lots of food, and this time--a water-balloon toss!



Have a great weekend! I plan on reading and of course resting!

No comments: