Tuesday, April 24, 2007

OOPS! I'm Sorry!

I know...I know...I haven't posted for days (OK-so maybe a week or so). I really do have some good excuses, but I'm sure you don't really care about them, so I won't bore you with the details.



In other, more exciting news--I WON! I WON!

Meljean Brook had a contest on her blog to win a copy of her book Demon Angel! As you can see by the cover--Hugh (that's the gorgeous angel) is my idea of tall, dark, and handsome--not to mention the fact he's an angel (?)-- so I HAD to enter! Will wonders, never cease--I WON!!! Ms. Brook sent me a personally inscribed copy of the book (no I am NOT giving you the inscription--you wouldn't "get it") AND it arrived TODAY!!!! (If that's not incentive to get my homework completed in my class so I can read all night Friday, I don't know what is....)

I'm really excited about reading this book, and in case you've read this one, Ms. Brook has another book in the series coming out soon. Check out her blog and find out all the juicy details. I can guarantee you--they will be juicy. After all, look at Hugh....





I finished another book on my Spring Read Thing list. It was a bit long, but worth the effort.


Bamboo and Lace by Lori Wick

Lily Walsh lives with her father in the country of Kashien, while her brother Jeff, lives in Hawaii (having stayed after attending college). Jeff is writing to his father and asking permission for Lily to come visit for six months so that he can teach her new things. (Kind of weird, but once you understand the Kashien culture, it makes sense.) Owen (the father) grants Lily to go visit Jeff for three months instead of six--a disappointment to both siblings, but it was better than nothing.

Flash forward to Lily arriving in Hawaii--eyes downcast and not understanding our culture. (She wasn't familiar with the items we take for granted each day--indoor plumbing, hot water, plastic wrap...you get the picture.) Jeff then has to leave for two and a half months for a work emergency on the mainland, so rather than send Lily home to their father, he asks his close friend Gabe (and Gabe's immediate family) if Lily could stay with them, and if they would continue to teach her all the things he had planned. Being a true friend--Gabe takes over for Jeff.

Lily learns new things and a romance blossoms. Will Jeff make it home before Lily has to return to Kashien? Will she be able to extend her visit if Jeff doesn't make it? What will happen to Lily's new romance? You'll have to read the book to find out what happens.

I was intrigued by Lily's situation at the beginning of the book. I became completely engrossed in Lily's "education" that I forgot there was going to be a romance. The characters became like my best friends, and I couldn't wait to find out what happens with Lily and the interactions with her family. It's a fabulous book--one that brings hope and invites inspiration.

2 comments:

mad4books said...

Okay, here's one to add to your book list--and it won't take long because it's a graphic novel--be sure to read _AMERICAN BORN CHINESE_!

It's amazing...Printz award, National Book Award finalist, and a gajillion other honors!

Congrats on your book!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Hi! You are the winner of one of the books from my Books Galore #2 giveaway. You can check out all the results Here. Please email me your mailing address, so I can forward it to the author and you can receive your book. Congrats!

Katrina
callapidderdays AT gmail DOT com