Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I'm Still Here...I Think

Looking at the calendar is pretty depressing for me at the moment....only 3 more weeks and I'm back at work. Yuck! I feel like I'm finally starting my vacation and now I have to go back. I know I shouldn't really complain--after all, not all jobs have the "summer off," but anyone who knows a teacher knows that this is the time we work the hardest. Whine...Whine...Whine....I'm out of cheese.



Since the last time I posted, I finished reading Meljean Brook's two novels Demon Angel (with yummy Hugh) and Demon Moon (with delectable Colin). While that doesn't seem like much, both novels were around or over the 400 page mark with tiny writing. DON'T let that hinder you--both books were great although I will warn you--neither are Christian books. With that having been said, I think I'm in lurve with Colin! Not only is he astonishingly handsome and wealthy, but he has excellent taste, BRAINS, and he just happens to be a vampire. (I'm not sure what my obsession with vampires is, but for a vampire, he's most excellent!) I'm thoroughly jealous of Savitri--his love interest--not only is her name cool, but she hangs out with rather er...interesting characters, has the coolest job hacking into files (if I had that talent I could be "Librarian of the World"....insert evil laugh here), and has a vampire (amongst other other-worldly creatures) protecting her from the nosferatu that are chasing her. A bloody good read! (Pun intended...)

I also read The 6th Target by James Patterson. I've been waiting for this book to come out forever because I wanted to find out if Lindsay (the main character) and Joe (her LDR guy) decided to stay together. Action is packed with a startling shooting from the first couple of pages, but I have to say I'm disappointed. Ever since I found out that they're turning The Women's Murder Club series into a TV series, I've found that Patterson's book read like dialogue from TV characters rather than novels. It's the same thing that happened with Stephen King and Dean R. Koontz when their books became movies on the big and little screens. (Thankfully Koontz pulled himself out of it.) I HATE THAT!!!

ATTENTION AUTHORS: WRITE FOR YOUR READERS, NOT THE SCREENS! If you forget about us "little people" we will turn on you and all of your work will be for nothing. Books can always be turned into movies later--but the thrill of reading a good writer lies within the characters and if they turn into stock characters that we see every day, then we'll lose interest in your work. Just in case you're interested. Of course that's just my opinion. What do I know? I'm just a librarian, so it's my job to find good books for my kids to read...that's all. :)


After that's all said and done, I've just started reading The Copper Scroll by Joel C. Rosenberg. It's SO good and I'm only on page 22! I wish I would have read the other books her wrote before this one: The Last Jihad, The Last Days, and The Ezekiel Option--mainly because this novel comes after those. On the front cover flap it mentions that a lot of what he's written has come true. The scary part is that he published these books BEFORE the events happened. Is it a God thing? I don't doubt it. (Although if this book comes true I'm glad I have my fire insurance...and I'm not that far in...) Thankfully you don't have to have read his other novels to understand what's going on, but I'm sure it would have helped to understand the world's situation in this novel. Rosenberg includes a list of the characters (much like the Left Behind series) and then you jump feet first into the action. I definitely recommend it--and of course I'll post a review when I'm done.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows comes out Friday evening--yes, I'll be standing in line to pick up my copy and will spend the rest of Saturday and probably Sunday afternoon reading it, so it will be awhile for the reviews. I hear it's about 736 pages or so, but since some lucky people managed to get their copies in advance, I'm trying to stay away from anything Harry related so that the ending isn't revealed. To put in print--Snape is a good guy. I think Dumbledore told Snape to kill him to help Harry carry out the prophecy. I also think that Ron and Hermione will finally get together--she may have to smack him over the head with her wand since he is such a guy and doesn't "get it," but i think he'll finally come around. I'm still torn over who gets offed in the book. I think that Harry will defeat Voldemort (come on--the whole series has been leading to this...if the bad guy wins there's going to be loads of unhappy people out there), but I think he may die in the process--after all, his wand is from the same phoenix as Voldemort's, so I think they have to cancel each other out in order for things to be saved. I don't want that to happen, and I'm really hoping I'm completely wrong, but sometimes the hero has to sacrifice himself to make things right for the rest of us. (Yes, I could give lots of examples, but I'll save it for another post.) In any case, I can't wait to find out. If you're one of those people who ended up with an advanced copy--can you overnight it to me? :)



Hayley is really growing up...she lost her first tooth,


and she's learning how to swim!



I actually have some really funny pictures of her serious swimmer poses, but I have to edit them so that they don't appear sideways. Maybe I'll post them tomorrow.

Yuck--the sky is a scary yellow-green color. Isn't that the warning color for tornadoes? Yikes--I see lightning in the distance, so I should probably get off of the computer before it gets any closer.

2 comments:

mad4books said...

Hayley looks just like you! She could be your own daughter.

And don't even get me started about only having three weeks left...I'm STILL in summer school! All the summer school teachers have been dreaming and planning and wishing for our vacations to begin (tomorrow, July 20th is the last day)...so guess what was in my mailbox yesterday?

A JURY DUTY SUMMONS!! Guess where I'll be on Monday, July 30th? ARGH. All school year, they didn't call me. All summer school, they didn't call me. AISD provides a free substitute teacher to cover you if you get called during the school day...so I get called on one of the ONLY FIFTEEN DAYS I HAVE OFF!!!

It's so sad that it's actually funny.

:-)

The Dynamic Uno said...

Jury Duty!? YUCK! At least you'll have some time to read while you're there.

I know...I'll stop complaining about work. I'm sorry.